Searching for Symbolism in Harry Potter
Middle School Level
Junior Instructor: Emma the Animal Lover
Have you ever wondered what symbolism is? How can we identify symbolism in writing? Where can we find symbols in the Harry Potter series? Find out in this 8-week workshop! We will explore symbolism in all seven Harry Potter books!
This workshop will explore literary symbols in the Harry Potter series and some of the contextual evidence behind them.
- Students should have previously read the Harry Potter series (books 1-7).
- A true desire to respectfully build community among like-minded peers in a supportive manner.
- Students must be able to actively participate in online discussion.
- Please remember at Athena's Advanced Academy, parental involvement is necessary.
What to Expect in the Classroom:
Learning activities include communicating ideas, videos and multimedia, and web 2.0 tools to synthesize new concepts.
What to Expect in the Webinar:
Weekly webinars are 50 minutes long. Asynchronous/Recorded sessions are available for students with schedule conflicts. Students are asked to contribute to the live webinar by doing the following:
- Actively participating (via the microphone) to the class discussion
- Please note: This workshop is discussion based. Only students who are ready (or need minimal encouragement to become ready) to use the microphone in an online class should enroll.
Enrollment in this 8-week Junior Workshop includes free access to moderated discussion forums and Athena's Minecraft server.
Synchronous and Asynchronous Learning Options are available.
Return to the Literature Course Descriptions page
Return to the Junior Instructor Workshops Descriptions page