Instructor: Suki Wessling
Do you want to increase your vocabulary? Do you like having fun and being creative? In Vocab Madness, we will do some serious play with words, from the small and humble to the esoteric and unusual. Research shows that we learn vocabulary by using words, and that the deepest learning involves hands-on creativity. Unlike a more traditional (and less effective) approach to mastering vocabulary, we’re going to be creative and have fun, learning about English language spelling, history, and grammar along the way. Vocab Madness is offered twice a year with two different sets of vocabulary, so students may take it twice in any order (fall-spring or spring-fall).
- Spring session: “Set A” words (chapter 1-17)
- Fall session: “Set B” words (chapter 18+)
- The Insider’s Complete Guide to SAT Vocabulary: The Essential 500 Words by Larry Krieger (This is not an SAT prep class—we’ll use this book as a reference.)
- For younger and visual learners, I recommend Marie’s Words. (This is not a required resource.)
- Required: visual representation of vocabulary including drawings, animations, or video, creative writing using vocabulary words, and research of use of vocabulary words in literature.
- Students should have access to a scanner or digital camera so they can share visual projects.
- Contribute questions and ideas via the chat window and whiteboard
- Actively participate (via a headset microphone) in the class discussion
- Although recorded sessions will be available, students should be able to attend at least 75% of the webinars.
- Asynchronous students should plan to create a presentation to upload to YouTube for viewing by the students.
Return to the English/Languages Course Descriptions Page
Return to the Additional Liberal Arts Course Descriptions Page