Meet the Composers and Artists
Instructor: Dr. Kirsten Stein
Have you ever wondered what famous composers were really like? What about the people who created some of the most famous works of art? Meet the Composers and Artists class introduces you to famous musicians from Vivaldi to Gershwin and famous artists from da Vinci to Cassatt. Create works of art inspired by these artists while listening to uplifting musical selections from famous composers. Students may join in the fun and introduce their classmates to composers and musicians of their choice during the last few minutes of each webinar.**
Required text & resource:
- There is no required text for this class.
- Optional resources include common art supplies such as colored pencils, paints, paint brushes, scissors, and paper.
About the curriculum:
- Dr. Kirsten Stein brings together captivating facts and project ideas from a variety of sources and curricula to create Meet the Composers and Artists.
- Students are given the opportunity to introduce their classmates to composers and musicians not discussed by Headmistress Athena through student-created PowerPoint presentations during the webinars.
- Student must be able to read at a strong 4th grade level or above.
- Please remember at Athena's Advanced Academy, parental involvement is necessary.
What to Expect in the Classroom:
Learning activities include communicating ideas, videos and multimedia, and web 2.0 tools to synthesize new concepts. In addition, students are asked to complete 2-3 main assignments during the week. Assignments include:
- Strongly suggested: Responding to 1-2 forum questions - using at least five sentences
- Strongly suggested: Completing assignments and listening to musical selections
- Optional: Working with web 2.0 tools on online projects and presentations
- Optional: At-home art projects
What to Expect in the Webinar:
Weekly webinars are 50 minutes long. Recorded sessions are available for students with schedule conflicts. Meet the Composers and Artists webinars include teacher-led exploration of information related to the weekly featured composer and artist. Students are asked to contribute to the live webinar by doing the following:
- Actively participating (via the microphone and chat) to online discussions about the topics presented*
- Optional and occasional participation: Students may create simple powerpoint presentations to share information about composers and artists of their choice near the end of the weekly webinars.** Participation opportunities depend on the number of students wishing to be involved from week to week.
*Athena’s understands students may be shy about using the microphone, especially if it is their first time in an online class. Parents are asked to work with Athena’s to assist their child in becoming more comfortable sharing verbally online.
**Composer/Artist selection must be approved by Dr. Stein.
Enrollment in this 16-week semester course includes free access to moderated discussion forums, Athena's Minecraft server, and subscriptions to BrainPOP, BrainPOP Jr., and BrainPOP Español.
Return to the Additional Liberal Arts Course Descriptions page