Grammar Girl to the Rescue
Middle School/Junior High Level
Instructor: Molly Isaacs-McLeod
In this entertaining, yet informative, eight-week class we will plumb the depths of misused and troublesome words. We will discover what goes into writing a great paper. Allow Headmistress Themis to introduce you to the witty, yet always grammatically correct, Grammar Girl.
- Grammar Girl Presents the Ultimate Writing Guide for Students (ISBN-13: 978-0805089448)
- Grammar Girl’s 101 Misused Words You’ll Never Confuse Again (ISBN-13: 978-0312573379)
- Grammar Girl’s 101 Troublesome Words You’ll Master In No Time (ISBN-13: 978-0312573478)
- Student must be able to read at a 6th grade level or above.
- Students must be able to actively participate in online discussion.
- Students must be able to write a paragraph independently.
- Please remember at Athena's Advanced Academy, parental involvement is necessary.
What to Expect in the Classroom:
Learning activities include communicating ideas, videos and multimedia, and web 2.0 tools to synthesize new concepts. While students are expected to keep up with reading assignments, writing assignments are optional. Assignments include:
- Required: Weekly reading assignments
- Strongly suggested: Responding to 1-2 forum questions in at least five sentences and other writing assignments
- Optional: Working with web 2.0 tools on online projects
What to Expect in the Webinar:
Weekly webinars are 50 minutes long. Recorded sessions are available for students with schedule conflicts. Students are asked to contribute to the live webinar by doing the following:
- Actively participating (via the microphone) to the class discussion by responding to the questions on the whiteboard
Enrollment in this 8-week course includes free access to moderated discussion forums and Athena's Minecraft server.
Return to the English/Languages Course Descriptions page
Return to the Additional Liberal Arts Course Descriptions page