Middle School Level
Junior Instructor: Emma the Animal Lover
What’s the difference between sea lions and seals? What adaptations have marine mammals developed to survive in such a harsh environment? How can you tell the species of whale from the surface? This 8-week workshop will answer these questions and more! We will explore the diversity of marine mammals and how they came to live in the ocean.
- A true desire to respectfully build community among like-minded peers in a supportive manner.
- Students must be able to actively participate in online discussion.
- Please remember at Athena's Advanced Academy, parental involvement is necessary.
What to Expect in the Classroom:
Learning activities include communicating ideas, videos and multimedia, and web 2.0 tools to synthesize new concepts.
What to Expect in the Webinar:
Weekly webinars are 50 minutes long. Asynchronous/Recorded sessions are available for students with schedule conflicts. Students are asked to contribute to the live webinar by doing the following:
- Actively participating (via the microphone) to the class discussion
- Please note: This workshop is discussion based. Only students who are ready (or need minimal encouragement to become ready) to use the microphone in an online class should enroll.
Enrollment in this 8-week Junior Workshop includes free access to moderated discussion forums and Athena's Minecraft server.
Synchronous and Asynchronous Learning Options are available.
Return to the Science Course Descriptions page
Return to the Junior Instructor Workshops Descriptions page