Extended Workshop -- Middle School Level
Junior Instructor: Emma the Animal Lover
What are the different kinds of algae, and are algae plants? How can creatures survive in the rocky intertidal zone? How can anything live in the deep ocean? Find out in this sixteen-week workshop! We’ll explore such topics as the principles of marine science, organisms of the sea and marine ecosystems.
Supplemental text for students who wish to go deeper into the subject matter:
- Marine Biology, 8th Edition by Castro and Huber. (The edition with a scallop on the cover. This is a high school/lower college text. It contains information appropriate for that level of study, including sexual/asexual reproduction, which will *not* be discussed in this workshop.)
- A true desire to respectfully build community among like-minded peers in a supportive manner.
- Students must be able to actively participate in online discussion.
- Please remember at Athena's Advanced Academy, parental involvement is necessary.
What to Expect in the Classroom:
- Learning activities include communicating ideas, videos and multimedia, and web 2.0 tools to synthesize new concepts.
What to Expect in the Webinar:
Weekly webinars are 50 minutes long. Asynchronous/Recorded sessions are available for students with schedule conflicts. Students are asked to contribute to the live webinar by doing the following:
- Actively participating (via the microphone) to the class discussion
Enrollment in this semester-long extended Junior Workshop includes free access to moderated discussion forums and Athena's Minecraft server.
Synchronous and Asynchronous Learning Options are available.
Return to the Science Course Descriptions page
Return to the Junior Instructor Workshops Descriptions page